Terms and Election Dates
All members of Council are elected to office for a term of four years. Reeves are elected at large by all voters, and councillors are elected only by voters qualifying to vote in their division. To vote in a division, you must live in the division or own lands with the highest assessment in that division. Your property tax notice contains information about your voting division.
Municipal elections are held on the last Wednesday in October:
- on an even-numbered year for councillors representing even-numbered divisions; and
- on an odd-numbered year for the reeve and councillors representing odd-numbered divisions.
The next municipal election will be held on November 9 for the Division 2, 4, and 6 council members.
To be eligible to vote, you must:
- be at least 18 year old;
- be a Canadian citizen; and
- qualify as one of the following:
- a resident in the R.M. of Snipe Lake for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the day of the election;
- the registered owner (or purchaser under a bona fide agreement for sale) of land in the R.M. of Snipe Lake;
- assessed with respect to land in the R.M. of Snipe Lake under a lease, license, permit, or contract in agreement with the registered owner;
- assessed with respect to an improvement in the R.M. of Snipe Lake;
- hold a permit in the R.M. of Snipe Lake with respect to a trailer or mobile home;
- a spouse of a person mentioned in one of the clauses above; or
- the chief executive officer of a duly incorporated co-operative, corporation or religious association that is assessed on the last revised assessment roll with respect to property in the R.M. of Snipe Lake that is not exempt from taxation.
Voting typically takes place at a polling station set up at the Complex, Hall The R.M. of Snipe Lake does not offer voting my mail. If an election is necessary, an Advance Polls may be offered.
All voters are required to provide proof of identity.
- at least 18 years old on Election Day;
- a Canadian citizen;
- eligible to vote in the R.M. of Snipe Lake; and
- a resident of Saskatchewan
A voter is eligible to vote in 1 division of the municipality (Local Government Elections Act 2015 39-1,2)
The division where a voter is eligible is determined by where the person resides.(2)(b) and if the person does not reside in the municipality, they would be eligible to vote in the division where his or her total assessment is the highest (2)(5). If assessment value in 2 divisions are equal, the person votes in the lower numbered division.